Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The UPS Trip

[summer 2006]

4pm. Driving home from work. Yessss….done working for the day.

A “What the F—“ pops into my head. I see Kyled walking down the street struggling to drag a suitcase. It was one of those suitcases that has a handle and wheels on it, however, this suitcase was missing a wheel and the zipper was broken. I pulled the car along side of him and asked him if he was moving out early. Unfortunately he wasn't. He was attempting to walk the 2 miles to the UPS store so he could mail his books. Although it would have been very interesting to watch him attempt this traveling feat given the state of his suitcase, I opted to offer him a ride. I pulled over, opened my trunk, and lifted the suitcase into my car. The suitcase easily weight 100 lbs. It was a tremendous strain to lift it in the manner I did, but I downplayed it as if it was nothing. I had to save face after all in front of Kyled.

We arrived at the UPS store and kyled struggled to get the suitcase out of my car. I had to put on my "strong" face once again and carry the bag into the store. The thought of a hernia popped into my head. Kyled didn't realize that the postage would be outlandish for mailing that much weight. It was fortunate for him that I was there to cover the costs. I had visions of him struggling to get to the store only to be turned away and struggle home...I smiled to myself over this. Yes, I'm a jerk...but at least I'm a jerk who'll strain himself carrying other people's possessions only to pay their bills for them.

Life Lesson: Don’t ever go cheap when buying luggage. In the event a wheel falls off and the zipper breaks, it’ll be very difficult to transport books in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home